THIS IS THE ISSUE: Teachers are fungible units of “human capital,” to be deployed as policy-makers and management see fit. Since human capital depreciates over time, it needs to be replaced by fresh capital, branded as “the Best and Brightest.”
Reader Michael Fiorillo deciphers the corporate reformers’ game plan:
The Final Solution to the Teacher Question:
– Proclaim austerity for the public schools, while continuing to expand charters.
– Create incentives for non-educators to be in positions of power, from Assistant Principal on up.
– Maintain a climate of scapegoating and witch hunting for “bad teachers,” who are posited as the cause of poverty and student failure, doing everything possible to keep debate from addressing systemic inequities.
– Neutralize and eventually eliminate teacher unions (the first part largely accomplished in the case of the AFT). As part of that process, eliminate tenure, seniority and defined benefit pensions.
– Create and maintain a climate of constant disruption and destabilization, with cascading mandates that are impossible to keep up or comply with.
– Create teacher evaluations based on Common Core-related high stakes tests for which no curriculum has been developed. Arbitrarily impose…
View original post 390 more words